Friday, February 28, 2014

A visit from home

Deborah Writes


Well, it has been two weeks since I last wrote. It has taken that long to have something new to say. There is really not much new. Mostly, we have been busy with getting a daily routine. Blake spends time working on the house plans and works on the property often. He did build a frame for our bed that arrived; it is so nice to sleep in a king size bed again. He also built an extension frame for the full size mattress that came with the Ohana. The new frame fits nicely over the built- in that was already here. Now we have a place for family or friends to sleep; those who want to come help with building the house . Everyone else will hopefully come to visit when the house is built.
We did some planting last week with large cuttings from our neighbor Alex's yard. We are both spending time just cleaning and pruning the pre-existing plants that came with our property. I started a pot garden on our deck with Cucumbers and Chard. I hope at some point to transplant and move to a garden plot in our new yard.
I did find a fantastic massage therapist who was referred to me. She in turn sent me to an excellent acupuncturist. Both woman are very competent at what they do. I also am building a friendship with each of them beyond our professional relationship. I believe they will be my first two girlfriends here.
We seem to take a weekly pilgrimage to Kona, its about an hours drive south from our place. This week I was smart and packed a picnic, so we could take a nice lunch break at a park or the beach. We shop at Costco, home depot, lowes, walmart, kmart etc. We are slowly also finding interesting local places to shop that are not the big box stores I mentioned. I went to the singer sewing center and was pleased to see an interesting selection of fabrics and sewing notions, affordable as well. That’s a bonus!
We had visitors from Olympia for the afternoon on Sunday. It was nice to see someone from home. It was one of my friends from the Olympia chorus that I sang with; Rita and her husband Mel. They come to Kona every year for vacation. Rita and Mel drove up to visit us and they took us out to lunch. Rita also brought me a card signed by some of the women in my chorus back home and she brought me a beautiful orchid . I sent Rita home with some homemade Lilikoi butter I made. We showed them our property, building plans and the Ohana we rent. We also took them on a tour of our neighbor Alex amazing yard. Next year when they come we will be able to host them overnight.

Now some pictures.



 The pictures-above and below. the dump store and Keith who runs the dump store

 Flowers and card from my chorus- brought by Rita
 Rita and Mel from Washington
 Above Deborah and Blake in Alex's garden 
Below Rita and Deborah

 Alex giving Mel the tour of his gardens
 The new bed frames built by Blake-still need to be painted

 The transplants from Alex's garden to ours



Some pictures of the area-places we walk to,
 and the honor farm stands you can buy fresh grown produce.









 gecko hanging out in the Lilikoi in the bowl on the table..... AKA passion fruit.
 Hmm...proceed with caution
I guess the passion fruit worked!


No comments:

Post a Comment