Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Skincare Business

Skincare Business

     Well.... it has been a while since Blake or I wrote. Truthfully we have both been really busy and incredible tired at night.

  Deborah writes: My Skincare Business

On July 1, 2014,  I officially opened my new skincare studio; named Beautiful Skincare.

http://www.beautifulskincare.skincaretherapy.net/home

 My original plan was to have it at our house. But... as our plans evolved it made sense for me to try and earn a living ( it is expensive here) sooner rather than later. So I went out and found a very affordable rental space just a 2 minute walk from our house and our rental. I have a lease for a year; and in June if the landlord does not need the space I can resign and stay on.

 I had a great time fixing the space up. It never ceases to amaze me of the magic of a can of paint and interesting and coordinated decorating. I have posted some before and after pictures for you to view. 

Business is going better than I expected thankfully. I have on average 4-6 clients most weeks. Retail sales are going better that I hoped as well. My clients feel pampered and so they often fall asleep during their treatment. Afterwards I am being told I am gifted, and a treasure; I feel very embraced and appreciated by my clients and our community as a whole.

 I am also being asked for haircuts and much to my surprise I am developing a client base. My shop is not set up for hair care and so right now I cut them in my back room on a basic chair. They have to come pre-shampooed and not expect a blow-dry finish. The women I am doing like my work so much they are fine with that arrangement; and they don’t object to my fee. They are sworn to secrecy and are not allowed to refer me without my permission as I do NOT want a huge hair clientele. It looks like it is growing and it is hard to say no to the income. I may have to break down and get a styling chair for the backroom space to make it more professional and comfortable for both myself and my clients. I need to think on that a while before I make that leap. I am giving myself until January before I make that final decision. 
I will also have to approach my landlord and see how he feels about me using that back space for more than my original plan And I have to be certain my lease will go beyond June; if it will not I do not have room at our house for a styling chair.
 I have been advertising in many ways; Brochures, signs, my big mouth and newspaper ads. I am happy to report that I have gotten new clients, repeat clients and referrals as well. I even got an article written about me in the paper.

The link is below.


Additional to my studio, I am “on call” at a resort down the road 5 minutes; Blake and I are friendly with the owners and they needed a skincare person periodically during the high season here. The owners approached me and asked if I would be interested; I told them as long as they can pay me what I would earn at my own salon, then my answer would be yes.  It was agreed. That will be a nice extra income for me too.  Here is a link to their resort; it is really more of a wellness resort and a very peaceful beautiful place.



Now some pictures of my studio: BEFORE & AFTER 



















No comments:

Post a Comment